If you are stopping by to find questions for your book club, please leave a note for me telling me where you are from!
Welcome to the June Online Book Club. This month we’re discussing One Summer by David Baldacci.
In One Summer, Jack is dying. He has a rare disease and is trying to hang on until after Christmas to enjoy one last holiday with his wife and three children. Just as he readies himself to say goodbye, his wife dies in a car accident. No one was prepared for that and the children get sent to relatives while Jack goes to a hospice so his children don’t have to see him die. A miracle happens at the hospice, though – Jack gets better.
I have read David Baldacci’s The Christmas Train, but not any of his typical crime thriller books. I enjoyed The Christmas Train, so when I saw he had written another non-typical book, One Summer, I knew I had to read it. I picked it for the June Online Book Club since it was about the summertime. Discuss the book below or join the Facebook group.
- What was your favorite part of the book? Least favorite?
- How did you feel when Jack’s wife died?
- Do you think it was a good decision for Jack to go into hospice care and send his children to live with relatives?
- Would you have waited as long as Jack did to “get strong” before getting your children back?
- Why do you think Jack wanted to get the lighthouse working so badly?
- How do you feel Jack’s daughter did dealing with her grief?
- Was the teenage bullying believable? Do you approve of how they “got back” at the bullies?
- How would you have reacted to the lawsuit the mother-in-law brought to Jack to get custody of the children?
- Did you like how the book ended? Did you want Jack to find love again?
- Is there any question I didn’t ask that you want to discuss? Post it here.