If you are stopping by to find questions for your book club, please leave a note for me telling me where you are from!
Welcome to the July Online Book Club. This month we’re discussing The Blue Bottle Club by Penelope J. Stokes.
In The Blue Bottle Club, on Christmas Day in 1929, four best friends meet in an attic to share their life dreams vowing to support each other in reaching those dreams. They stuff their dreams into a blue bottle and hide it in the attic rafters. Sixty-five years later, the house is scheduled to be demolished and a reporter covering the story is given the blue bottle, discovered by one of the men working on the demolition. Brendan reads the girls’ dreams and can’t put away the feeling that she is supposed to track them down and find out if they made their dreams come true – especially since she is at a point in life where she doesn’t know what her dreams are for herself.
I chose The Blue Bottle Club as the July book for the Online Book Club. I had it sitting on my to-read shelf and the storyline looked very interesting. I haven’t read anything else by Stokes, but will probably look for more books written by her to read in the future.
Discuss the book below or join the Facebook group.
- What was your dream for you life in high school? In what ways has it come true?
- Did you think any of the girls’ dreams were realistic?
- What did you find most interesting about Letitia’s story? (becomes a schoolteacher)
- What did you find most interesting about Adora’s story? (becomes a single mother)
- What did you find most interesting about Ellie’s story? (has to take care of her mother)
- What did you find most interesting about Mary Love’s story? (becomes a nun)
- How does Brendan change by discovering the women’s story?
- Have you ever had someone come along and help you find and shape your dream? Share the story.
- How does faith play a role in each woman’s life?
- If there’s any question you’d like to discuss that I didn’t ask, share it here.