Welcome to the online book club for
In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume.
Over the course of a year, three planes crashed in the town of Elizabeth, N.J., just outside the Newark airport. The people in the town saw firsthand the wreckage and helped recover both survivors and victims. Teenagers came up with theories about why the planes were falling out of the sky over them. Local doctors and dentists were overstressed helping with the survivors and identifying the victims. Victims included people from the town, both in the air and on the ground. Those events set the stage for a historical fiction book, In the Unlikely Event, that takes you in the the lives of those who were forever changed by that year.
You can discuss the questions in the comments section below on the blog or join us on Facebook.
Thanks for joining us!
- Have you ever had any experience with a plane crash? Please share it with us if you’re willing.
- Who was your favorite character and why?
- Who was your least favorite character and why?
- Did you find any of the character’s storylines distracting? If so, which ones and why?
- Miri writes an article for the school newspaper on the various theories about the plane crashes. Do you think that should have been shared with the students?
- Miri’s friend, Natalie, develops an eating disorder after thinking she hears one of the crash victims in her head. Not a lot is done by her family and Natalie’s condition is not discussed. How different would that situation been handled today? Is that better or worse?
- Discuss some of the hardships the women in the book faced. Who do you think had the hardest challenges to overcome?
- What is some history you learned from the book?
- Overall, did you like the book? Why or why not?
- Is there any question I didn’t ask that you would like to discuss?
Thank you for reading with us and stopping by to discuss In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume!